Individual Behavior: Influence and Foundations - science - 2023
- How does it influence the organization?
- Fundamentals of individual behavior
Theindividual behavior in organizationsIt is one of the most important variables to consider to ensure the proper functioning of a company. Due to the individual differences of each person that makes up an organization, it is necessary to learn to manage these behaviors to achieve the best results.
Also known as organizational behavior, this area of study is responsible for investigating and applying knowledge that has to do with the way in which each person behaves within a company. To understand individual behavior in an organization, it is necessary to study the different variables that condition it.
The most important are the people who make up the company, its structure, the technology they use and the context in which it is established.
All these variables have to be analyzed in order to design an action plan to improve the efficiency of organizations.
How does it influence the organization?
The success of an organization depends entirely on the interaction between the four variables mentioned above:
- The people who make up an organization make up its internal system. The collaboration between the different members is what will allow to achieve the desired results; Therefore, it is necessary to study how to adjust the individual behavior of each person to that of others.
- The structure of the organization refers to the existing hierarchy within it, and the type of relationships that the people belonging to it must establish. If an individual puts his personal interests ahead of those of the structure, the business will not function as effectively as it could.
- The technology used by the company helps improve working conditions and provides them with resources to meet their objectives. However, in order to reap the full benefits of technology, individuals must also adjust their own behavior to get the most out of it.
- The context in which the company operates is essential to understand what is expected of it and what is the best way to achieve it. Therefore, the greater the number of members of the company who understand the context in which they work, the better the results will be.
As can be seen, individual behavior within organizations is at the base of their success, in addition to influencing the other three variables on which a company is built. Therefore, understanding what leads each person to behave in a certain way is essential to achieve the best results within a company.
Fundamentals of individual behavior
Although there are a large number of variables that can influence how an individual behaves, the most important in terms of how they affect organizations are the following:
Values are those elements that each person considers to be important in their life. They affect all fields of existence: from personal relationships to work.
Values are what determine our priorities, and also the yardstick that we use to measure whether our life is a success or if, on the contrary, we are far from what we want.
In general, when a person acts consistently in a way that is aligned with their values, they will feel satisfied; On the contrary, if your actions are contrary to what you think is good or important, you will be more predisposed to feel bad about yourself.
For this reason, knowing the values of the company and the people who are part of it is fundamental; If the two are not aligned, the employee will be deeply dissatisfied with his role in the company and will not be able to perform at his best at work.
Beliefs are those ideas we have about ourselves, others and about the world in general. They usually affect the way we react to what happens to us and can cause us to feel something negative as if it were positive, and vice versa.
Therefore, it is important to know the beliefs of the participants in an organization, since these will cause them to behave in very different ways when faced with the same situation.
Closely related to beliefs, attitudes have to do with the way in which we face the situations that arise in our day to day life.
When difficulties arise, do employees feel intimidated and don't know what to do? Or, on the contrary, are they looking for the resources to solve the problem, even though it is something new for them?
Getting everyone in an organization to have the right attitudes is crucial to its success.
Motivation is defined as the desire to do things and take action. It is considered one of the most important elements when setting goals, overcoming challenges and meeting one's own objectives.
Therefore, studying how to increase the motivation of the members of a company is essential if the best results are to be achieved within it.
One of the simplest ways to ensure the failure of a company is to choose as members of the same people with whom we have a good relationship, rather than people with complementary skills to our own.
Skills are what each person can bring individually to an organization. Therefore, it is necessary to promote the improvement of the skills of employees, using strategies such as training or coaching.
Personality is a set of individual characteristics that define how we are as people. They are stable throughout life and have an important influence on the way we do things, as well as the way we relate to others and our environment.
Because the personality is very difficult to change, it is essential to know that of each of the members of a company, to assign tasks that are according to their way of being.
Thus, for example, an introvert will better fulfill assignments that involve working alone, while an extrovert will only reach their full potential by belonging to a team.
- "The individual within the organization" in: Sharing knowledge and collaborative work. Retrieved on: March 19, 2018 from Knowledge sharing and collaborative work: sites.google.com
- "Individual behavior in organization" in: Practical Management. Retrieved on: March 19, 2018 from Practical Management: practical-management.com.
- "What are your values?" in: Mindtools. Retrieved on: March 19, 2018 from Mindtools: mindtools.com.
- "Motivation" in: Psychology Today. Retrieved on: March 19, 2018 from Psychology Today: psychologytoday.com
- "Personality" in: Wikipedia. Retrieved: March 19, 2018 from Wikipedia: es.wikipedia.com.